23 February 2007

What season is this, anyway?

I'm not a big fan of Wal-Mart, and prefer to shop at small retailers closer to home. Someday, I'll post more on that.

For now, suffice it to say that we do some shopping at Wal-Mart. I was at the big Super Wal-Mart in Champaign last night, looking for a variety of items. As I searched for distilled white vinegar, I had to traverse the grocery section. And there I discovered...an entire long aisle dedicated to EASTER CANDY. Yes, you read that right. Easter Candy.

I realize that there isn't a lot of money to be made in Lenten Retail. I wasn't expecting an aisle of fresh fish and tomato soup or anything. But give me a break! This was the day after Ash Wednesday. Easter is still over six weeks away. Are they really expecting us to stock up on chocolate bunnies and jelly beans and keep them on the pantry shelf for six weeks?

And it's not just Wal-Mart. The Meijer across the street was already putting the Easter candy up on Monday of this week, before Lent had even begun. I thought it was a clearence rack with leftover Valentines candy. But closer inspection revealed full priced chocolate bunnies. Sheesh.

Maybe I just don't understand retail, but it seems that something is seriously out of whack with the way this system is set up.

1 comment:

pafarmer said...

I sometimes have the same thoughts about the system, but it takes people to support a system. What kind of person thinks that they need Easter candy in February? Apparently there are a lot of them around.