06 May 2007

I-Eighteen

Because of various shift trades with members of other teams, I worked Knights of Columbus Bingo again last night at our parish. As described in a recent post, it's a good time and a good cause.

But the most memorable event of the evening came late in our ninth game, and shows just how big a deal Bingo is to these players. Several numbers had been called in that game, and then ball I-18 came into the chute. The caller announced that number.

Suddenly, at a nearby table, several older ladies started laughing and yukking it up like all get out. I hadn't been paying attention, and so didn't catch what they were saying to each other in between all the laughter.

The chuckles died down, and the caller moved on to the next number. I leaned toward the other guy working with me and asked, in a low voice, "What was that all about?"

"They'd been wondering if that ball was really in there," he explained. "It hadn't been called all night."

"You mean," I asked, "We're in the ninth game, and they've been keeping track of which balls haven't come up, and they knew I-18 was one of them?"

"I guess," my partner laughed, incredulously.

"They should go to Vegas and count cards on the blackjack tables," I said, shaking my head in disbelief, "and make some real money."

No comments: