16 January 2012

Still Here

I apologize for the long break from posting, and wanted to let you all know that I'm still here and do intend to keep this blog updated more frequently going forward. I had an extraordinarily busy November and December with work, which is unusual for a non-election year. I had a number of things concerning the farm that I really wanted to post about, but was simply too absorbed with delivering results to clients.

As many of you know, we are not "professional" farmers. My primary occupation is public opinion research; I design and analyze opinion surveys. My background is in political science, and election years are particularly busy times for me. Much of my work, in even-numbered years, involves voter targeting and turnout modeling for Republican candidates across the country. In odd-numbered years, most of my work is related to public policy and is done on behalf of industries or corporations. This fall and winter, I've had an unusually large number of such projects. Client confidentiality limits what I can say about the particulars, but the studies I've worked on have been quite interesting. What I enjoy most about this profession is getting to learn "what people think and why they think it" about a wide variety of issues. But it's easy to get absorbed in these projects, and my farm duties, and to neglect the blog.

Some other reasons for my slow posting in recent months is that, quite honestly, I would second guess myself as to whether my readers would really be interested in the particular thing I was thinking about sharing. Or I would have trouble getting a picture of the thing I wanted to discuss, and decide to wait until I could get one. Or, if I'd already put up posts in the past discussing the same thing, I would tell myself that readers would get bored with my repetition. Or...or...or...

For the writer, any excuse for procrastination can turn into a good one. And then the thing never gets written. (Exhibit A is my new novel's manuscript, the edits to which still need to be made.) So, going forward, my range of topics may grow wider. Many posts may have nothing whatsoever to do with farming. But the blog will always remain true to its original mission: to give the perspective of one Yeoman Farmer on the connection between farming, faith, family, and citizenship. Some posts may relate only tangentially to these topics...but whatever the topic may be, you will be getting The Yeoman Farmer's perspective on it.

My goal, going forward, is to post at least something every day. It may be brief. It may sometimes seem "off topic." It may not interest you. Feel free to skip. But there will be something, so please do stop by if you feel so inclined.

Thanks to all of you for your patience, and your loyalty in reading this blog.

2 comments:

Randy said...

What is your take/ opinion /findings the appeal (or not) of Ron Paul to evangelicals? I am a Florida evangelical and I recently registered as a Republican just so I could vote for Ron Paul in the primary, and I was curious if I was the only one. Overall, what is your take on Ron Paul? (Talk about tangential to the TYF blog topic, huh?)

TYF said...

Randy - good question about Paul. He spoke on my campus during the 1988 campaign, when he was running for Prez as a Libertarian, and I was impressed with what he had to say. His story about turning against abortion after participating in the procedure as a medical student is a powerful one. He wasn't my first choice in 1988, and isn't now, but I appreciate his support for human life, gun rights, limited government, and the gold standard.

I haven't polled, and can't quantify, Paul's appeal to evangelicals, but my sense is that it's tied up with his pro-life conversion and voting record, and his disciplined "back to basics" on the gold std and spending / size-and-scope of government.

He has one of the more heterogenous and deeply committed candidate coalitions I've seen, and does have a unique ability to engage some (such as yourself) who haven't been registered with the GOP before ... but I question whether his appeal is wide enough to win a general election outside his own district. I also don't see Americans electing a President straight from the House...and particularly not one who will be 77 when innaugurated and 81 at the end of his first term.